Even the best-in-class Bluetooth beacons operate with batteries that eventually run out, requiring effort to replace them. In some cases, these beacons could be spread out over an entire nation, and the physical distances involved can be prohibitive. And that could be a deal killer for the entire proximity marketing project.
To overcome the battery replacement challenge we are introducing the USB beacon. This beacon functions as any other powerful beacon, while connected to a USB port – which means it does not have a battery and is powered by a device like a desktop/laptop, POS or a cash register with a USB port.
Key features of the USB beacon:
1. Tiny in size yet has a long-distance signal coverage – Smaller beacons usually have limited transmission range (30-50 meters on an average). However, we realized that our customers often wanted a combination of small size and powerful coverage. Therefore we introduced the USB beacon, which transmits notifications up to 80 meters (262ft)
2. Battery never runs out – Cut down on beacon maintenance costs and never stress out about replacing batteries! USB beacons require a 5V DC power source instead of AA batteries. This means you can easily connect it to laptops, digital signages, POS machines, TVs and other similar devices with a USB port to broadcast notifications. This introduces us to interesting beacon use-cases (discussed later in the post).
3. iBeacon and Eddystone compliant – All Beaconstac beacons, including the USB beacon, communicate via both iBeacon and Eddystone. This means, just like any other Beaconstac beacon, you can use it to communicate with or without an app.
4. Connect and broadcast – Communicating with end users via USB beacon is as easy as:
- Create a campaign and assign it to the USB beacon (using Beaconstac platform),
- Plug the beacon into a power source and start broadcasting!
Recommended industry use-cases
USB beacon in retail
Apart from using USB beacon as any other beacon without worrying about battery life and maintenance, you can use it in other interesting and powerful ways.
1. Connect USB beacon to the POS system and send loyalty offers, link to an online payment gateway and promo codes for future visits, while the customer is waiting in billing queues.
2. USB beacon can also be used in-store ATM machines to broadcast card payment offers, or store offers that nudge shoppers to withdraw more cash for shopping.
3. USB beacon can also be tied to digital signages in stores to push videos relevant to the sign. For example, broadcast a video of how to use a Mi band 3 near the digital sign that advertises the newly launched fitness tracker.
USB Beacon in OOH
One of the major shortcomings of OOH advertisements is the inability to measure its efficiency. Beacons add the extra layer required to nudge passers-by to act. The best part about tieing beacons to billboards and digital signage is that the impact can be measured. USB beacons are making it extremely convenient and easy to use beacons with digital signages.
These beacons notifications allow passers-by to purchase the advertised product instantly.
USB beacon at events
Events are a great way to network with like-minded people. This includes reaching out to other exhibitors and visitors. USB beacons which can be plugged to every exhibitor’s laptops to communicate with others when they are close by. Here’s are some other USB beacon use cases at events –
- Connect the USB beacon to the ticketing system and let your attendees easily register and check in,
- Install a permanent indoor navigation beacon grid in your venue and never worry about replacing it.
We hope you come up with even more exciting use-cases with USB beacon 🙂 Check out the newly launched USB beacon and get a cost-effective end-to-end solution to execute your powerful marketing strategies today. Start your journey with Beaconstac.